Today I want to share with you the stunning fall cake – apple layer cake with whiskey almond cream. Made with layers of light and airy sponge cake, light whiskey scented cream and an aromatic apple filling! This can be a Thanksgiving apple layer cake, a special occasion layer cake or a cake to celebrate the most flavorful season – autumn. One thing for sure – this cake steals the show!
My love for apples pushed me to create the unique recipe that differs from others and showcases the beauty of the fall season. Layer cakes are something we all love but rarely make. Too many dishes, too complicated, too time-consuming. Easier to go to the store and buy one. It sure does. But most of the bakeries sell the heavy butter cakes. And only few make seasonal cakes.
My challenge was to create the moist apple layer cake and make it as light as possible. The lighter but moist and flavorful apple and almond layer cake recipe mission is complete. And I’m thrilled to share it with you.
As much as I hate to use the word best but this is the best apple layer cake I have ever made and ate!
The light and airy sponge layers soaked with barely sweet whiskey syrup. The delicate lighter buttercream scented with roasted almonds and whiskey. And my favorite part soft and tender cinnamon infused apple filling. All the layers are meant to be together. The pinch of cinnamon in apple filling, the tablespoon of whiskey here and there, the scent and flavor of roasted nuts in layers and in cream. All the flavors are well balanced and create the true fall apple layer cake.
The best part you can enjoy it without any guilt. The whole recipe calls for little more than 2 sticks of butter for a 9-inch cake! Most of the butter goes into the frosting.
Instead of heavy butter cake, I chose the genoise. This is a sort of sponge cake but with much less butter. It is delicious, light and universal. You only need a one 9 inch pan for it, and the recipe I share is foolproof. Every time it yields the stunning tall and crumbly genoise.
And please, don’t be scared about the lengthy recipe. I wanted to explain every step thoroughly, to make sure you succeed. Overall it is not that hard to make it if you plan well.
When you making a complex, layered cake planning is crucial. Here is the time-saving plan for this multi layer apple cake.
- Genoise cake.
- Egg yolks mixture.
- While Egg yolks mixture is cooling make an apple filling.
- While apples are cooking make simple syrup.
- Finish the
- Assemble the cake.
- The toughest part – put it in the fridge and stay away from it for at least a couple of hours!
By following this plan you save the time, all your mixtures should cool down to proper temperatures, and you will end up with fewer dishes to clean.
Writing the post about this apple layer sponge cake and knowing I have the slice in the fridge is the hardest today’s thing. Now if you excuse me, I have the unfinished cake business to do. Freshly brewed coffee is poured, the cake slice is at room temperature, rainy day is on… This is the day when I genuinely appreciate food blogging!
Happy Baking 😉
Apple Layer Cake Recipe Tips and Tricks:
- Eggs for the batter should be room temperature.
- Melted butter should not be hot.
- Usually, it is recommended to make genoise cake one day ahead. I made the same day and a day ahead and did not notice any difference. Although making a day ahead saves some time. Make the genoise in the evening and in the morning finish the cake. Other than that start the recipe with the cake, so it has the time to cool down.
- Folding technique is something every baker should learn. This How to Fold Cake Batter video is pretty good tutorial.
- The egg yolks mixture should cool down completely. If the temperature is too high, it will melt the butter. So make sure they are the same room temperature before incorporating them together.
- Pay attention to all temperature notes in the recipe.
- Bourbon, whiskey, cognac don’t really matter. Quality does. Use what you love or prefer.
If you make this recipe, please share your picture with me by tagging it #thepuretaste on Instagram. Or share your results in the comment section down below. It means a whole world to me knowing someone is making my recipes.
Thank you for sharing and support ❤️❤️❤️
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which collects some cookies. If you purchase a product through one of my links, I will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only recommend products that I use and love myself. Thank you in advance for your support! It means a lot!
Products used in this post:
Sign Up for e-mail updates & Receive FREE E-BOOK
Join our mailing list to receive all the latest updates and a Top 5 Traditional Ukrainian Cookie Recipe E-BOOK FOR FREE